The tour group have all returned safe and sound…half our luggage is due back tomorrow morning. We flew Korean Airlines, who were excellent apart from this.
Internet access proved to be suprisingly difficult over the past few weeks, and hence no regular updates here. Tour members and their families were kept up to date via a private Facebook page with regular posts and tons of photos. Between dodgy wireless and tempremental ipads, it proved impossible to update this WordPress site effectively from overseas.
tour highlights included:
- Standing ovation from crowd of hundreds in Miami. Comment of “Bueno, Bueno!” from an old cuban man who listened to the whole set and even danced to our mambo.
- Massive interest in Barbados. We were in all (both) the papers, and even did a TV interview. The band played so well, they got a fantastic reception everywhere. A visiting Canadian billionaire was so impressed by them he treated everyone to lunch and an afternoon of his superyacht.
- Great workshops in New York with Dave Douglas and Rufus Reid
- A wonderful day spent recording in New York. CD to be mixed and mastered soon!
- Orlando’s best buffet at the Golden Corral restaurant. Some of us even took it on twice.
- One of the best groups of young musicians anyone could hope to travel and work with.
The band finishes the tour with a concert in Sydney at Jazz Camp on January 18, Naamaroo Conference Centre.
The next JWA tour is scheduled for January 2013.