Bands from Jazz Workshop Australia will be performing this June at the 40th Merimbula Jazz Festival. Our resident big band, the Sydney Youth Jazz Orchestra (SYJO) will also be returning to this great annual event after two years of Covid-related cancellations.
Merimbula is a small coastal town on the far south coast of NSW, about 7 hours drive from Sydney. Set on a picturesque bay and lake, it is a lovely place with surf beaches and relaxed atmosphere. In the mornings you can hear bellbirds chiming calls echoing through the town centre. Every year, except 2020 & 22, Merimbula has hosted a very special jazz festival unique for its welcoming and friendly spirit. It hosts diverse bands from mainly NSW, Victoria, and the ACT. The Merimbula Jazz Festival welcomes younger musicians and encourages them to perform but it’s not a schoolkids festival.
This is real community music-making and students can learn by playing alongside professionals, old-timers, and skillful musicians from all walks of life. For students, it is a chance to play on real stages for real audiences. We must work hard so that we are good enough to make complete strangers want to listen to us and enjoy the experience!
As ever, our students will have a busy program this year at the Merimbula Jazz Festival. Here’s where you can see us playing:
Friday June 10:
- 6:00pm Small combo at Satay House restaurant, Market St.
Saturday June 11:
- 9:30am SYJO at Waterfront Cafe
- 10:30am Merimbula Jazz Festival parade
- 11:45am JWA combos at Waterfront Café
- 3:00pm SYJO at RSL Club function room stage.
- 6:00pm Jazz Workshoppers combo at Lakeview Hotel
- 6:00pm Small combo at Satay House restaurant
Sunday June 12:
- 9:00am combos & SYJO at Waterfront Café
- 1:00pm SYJO at CLub Sapphire auditorium stage
- 4:00pm Jazz Workshoppers combo at Lakeview Hotel
- 6:00pm small combo at Satay House restaurant
- 7:00pm JWA Combo at Club Sapphire Sapphire Room stage
- 8:00pm JWA Combo at Club Sapphire Sapphire Room stage (yes, a double set).