Let us know if there is something missing.
If anyone opens a jazz venue in Sydney, let us know and we will link to it!
- Sydney Youth Jazz Orchestra Inc. Premier youth and professional training jazz ensemble.
- SIMA. The Sydney Improvised Music Association promotes contemporary jazz and runs the all ages Sound Lounge venue. Also runs Kool for Skool and other excellent educational outreach projects.
- The Jazzgroove Associationpresents weekly contemporary jazz concerts at the excelsior hotel (over 18’s only), and releases cds by local artists.
- The Jazz Education Network. An American organisation rising out of the ashes of the old IAJE. Aims to build the jazz arts community by advancing education, promoting performance and developing new audiences.
- The Jazz Action Society NSW. A non-profit organisation with a mission to promote Australian Jazz and Jazz in Australia. Also run regular concert series open to all ages.
Here are some resources of use or interest to jazz educators and students.
- JWA News is our occasional news letter. Here are some old issues so you can see what’s been going on at JWA:JWA News October 2011.
- Articles and resourceshere on the old Jazz Workshop website. Information about jazz and jazz improvisation for students and teachers.
- SR Jazz. Saul Richardson’s jazz education site. SR Jazz is now the Jazz Workshop.
- Jazz Australia. The National Jazz Website project, www.jazz.org.au. Information about venues, gigs, bands, articles, reviews, and much more.
- All About Jazz. US based international site…all about jazz.
- Jazz Education, Saul Richardson’s blog about jazz education. Includes lots of articles, ideas and tips useful for both teachers and students of jazz.
- Dickson’s Music. Chatswood retailer of musical instruments and print music, also run the annual Yamaha Music Festival. Good range of playalongs, Real Books and other jazz resources.
- Sax and Woodwind. Musical instrument retailer. Also sell brass instruments.
- In Tune Music. Musical instrument repair shop, hire & accessories in St Leonards, very close to the Jazz Workshop.
- Trumps Music. Guitar shop in North Sydney, specialising in fine guitars and amps. Also repairs and setups.
- Zephyr Music. Print music specialist in Hume St Crows Nest, just around the corner from JWA. Good range of playalongs, Real Books and other jazz resources.
- Swing City. John Morrison’s great band, and fun website.
- The Mothership Orchestra. One of Australia’s finest big bands, playing contemporary music and featuring many Australian compositions.
- Jazz Workshop Australia Site Map. Everything on our website at a glance.
Sydney has just one full time jazz venue. However, here is a list of what we do have. The list only includes venues open to under 18’s. Venues not open to all ages need to take a hard look at themselves, and ask where their audience is supposed to come from?
- Venue 505. Sydney’s only full time jazz venue, open six nights a week, and home base for the JazzGroove Association. Expect a varied and interesting program in a smallish but funky and well set up club. Meals available, under 18s welcome with a responsible adult.
corner of Cleveland and Perry Streets Surry Hills (280 Cleveland Street).
- The Sound Lounge. Operated by the Sydney Improvised Music Association. Part of the Seymour Centre next to Sydney University. Features Australia’s best contemporary jazz several nights a week.
Corner of City Rd and Cleveland St, Chippendale. Phone 9351 7940.
- El Rocco Jazz Cellar. Downstairs at Bar Me, features a mix of mainstream jazz, lesser known players, and cabaret. Also hosts jam sessions. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
154 Brougham St (Cnr William), Kings Cross. Phone 9368 0894.