Karen Richards has over twenty years of experience as an internationally acclaimed producer and creative director of major events. In fact, events don’t get much bigger than the opening and closing ceremonies of the Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games, for which Karen was Director of Ceremonies. She is regarded as one of Australia’s leading big event organizers. She has worked for many high profile clients, as a freelance consultant and in partnership with Ric Birch, through their former company Spectac.
Karen has worked with numerous musicians, actors and politicians including Kylie Minogue, Peter Allen, Yothu Yindi, Renee Geyer, Michael Parkinson, Clive James, Bryan Brown, Jack Thompson, Rolf Harris, Jimmy Barnes, Billy Thorpe, Tim Fisher (former Deputy Prime Minister) and Sir William Deane (former Governor General).
Some of Karen’s production credits include:
- Director of Ceremonies, Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games
- Production manager 1982 XII Commonwealth Games, Brisbaneopening and closing ceremonies
- Producer Countdown Awards
- Production manager JJJ 10th Anniversary concertat Goat Island
- Producer Australian Film Institute awards
- Ceremony Producer Sydney Showground Opening, 1998
- Flag Handover Ceremony Producer Atlanta 1996 Paralympic Games
- Ceremony Producer World Youth Soccer Championships FIFA/Coca Cola Cup, 1993
- Consultant Athens 2004 Paralympic Games and Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games
- Producer Fashion Parades 1990 Australian Wool Corporation
- Executive Producer Fleece to Fashion, television documentary
- Producer Australian Tourism Awards, 1988
- Producer Bicentennial Wool Collection, 1988
- Entertainment Consultant and Producer World Expo 88
- Production Manager Australian Broadcasting Corporation , 1983-1985.
- Entertainment Consultant, Sydney Olympic Park Authority, 2001
Since 2002 Karen has worked with Saul Richardson to deliver world class jazz education for young musicians. Their work together beyond Jazz Workshop Australia has included unique and outstanding school band tours, concerts, workshops, and acclaimed music camps. As well as production, Karen’s expertise includes travel planning, ground logistics and liaising with musical and venue contacts.