School holiday camps
- Jazz for Christmas, December 19 & 20
- JWA Summer Jazz and Big Band Camp, January 20 – 25 (residential)
- Jazz Camp LA, April 12 – 21. Jazz Camp for all ages in Los Angeles, USA!
Christmas Jazz & improvisation plus Tennis! workshop
Thursday 19 – Friday 20 December.
Play jazz, play tennis, or both.
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm each day
- Cost: $180
Play jazz in the morning and tennis in the afternoon, or jazz all day:
a) Play jazz in the morning, then go to Artarmon for tennis in the afternoon. The tennis academy provides the transport in their mini bus.
b) Play jazz all day with us at the Jazz Workshop.
The tennis side of this combined camp will be led by AAT coach Mark Nissen. Expect coaching, mini-tournament play and fun
The jazz will be led by Richard Savery, visiting us from the USA, and Saul Richardson. Here’s what to expect:
A two day workshop for students of any age. This one is suitable for a) those who are new to playing jazz and b) those who already have experience as jazz improvisers.
Content will be tailored to the needs and experience of the groups, but in general here’s what to expect:
- Introduction to playing jazz (for the beginners)
- More advanced techniques (for the experienced players)
- Ideas for making your solos more interesting and more musical
- Explore new scale and chord options and develop new approaches for old favourites
- How to interact effectively with a rhythm section to enhance your solo and you band’s whole performance
- Following chord changes, new scale choices, new rhythmic techniques.
All ages welcome. Anyone who can play their instrument at least reasonably well will get a lot out of this short camp. Not suitable for complete beginners (we can’t teach you how to play an instrument in just a few hours!) but you definitely don’t need to be advanced either. We put everyone into different groups to work on just the right things for them.
This is a two day, non-residential camp. The main presenter will be Richard Savery, special guest visiting us from Los Angeles, and Saul Richardson, principal and co-founder of Jazz Workshop Australia. Bookings are now open.
Bookings: Phone or email message. We’ll need to know:
- Student’s name
- Parent contact details (email and phone)
- What instrument/s they will play at the workshop
- A rough idea of their level of jazz playing (so we can be sure they will be working at the level best for them). Maybe say how long they have been playing, any grades completed…that sort of thing. They don’t have to be advanced at all. They don’t have to be able to read music, though it helps.
- Whether the student has any significant medical condition or allergy we should know about.
You can either send a cheque to Jazz Workshop Australia, PO Box 161 Crows Nest 1585
or you can direct deposit online to Jazz Workshop Australia BSB 112 879 Account # 421 350 375 (be sure to include your name in the details).