Guitar lessons on the north shore
We offer quality Guitar lessons in our well-equipped studio in St Leonards. We are professional guitar teachers who can help you or your child learn guitar and excel, no matter what age or level. At JWA we are delighted to give guitar lessons to beginners, adults, advanced students … anyone who is keen and serious about learning to play well. Jazz is a particular specialty of ours, but we can teach all styles. HSC music, beginners, audition preparation, and talented children are other specialties of ours. We are Saul Richardson and Yutaro Okuda.
Our studio, The Jazz Workshop, is the only music academy focused on jazz and improvised music, not only on the North shore, but in all of Sydney . In fact, to the best of our knowledge it is the only place like it in Australia. Despite the name of the venue, we can teach all styles of guitar. Ask us how we can help you!
Here are some of the things you or your child can get out of learning guitar with us:
- Learn to play with good technique from the start. This makes everything easier and better later on and has helped so many of our students become great guitar players.
- Play music you like while you learn
- Learn how to read music as well as playing by ear, because both these thing are important for becoming a great guitarist.
- Accelerate your progress by working through our logical, structured lessons.
- Take part in free jam sessions, concerts, and special events like masterclasses. Our students mean a lot to us and we try hard to make your experience with us special and valuable. We want you to become a great guitarist as quickly as you can, so we work hard to help you make it happen.
- Our students can join jazz bands and group improvisation lessons. This is a perfect complement to private guitar lessons, lots of fun, and can be highly motivating. Experience in an ensemble is incredibly valuable, so we make it available to our students.
- If you or your child are working towards either HSC music performance or an important audition, we know how to prepare students for success, and we have a great track record. It is rare for one of our students to do less than brilliantly well.
- You can be confident that your child, or you, will have a professional music educator as your guitar teacher, one who is reliable and consistent, experienced, qualified, and genuinely interested in teaching.
- We are focused totally on you, or your child’s, success.
JWA guitar academy is central to many north shore suburbs and Sydney city
Our studio is in St Leonards conveniently close to the station, buses, and with easy parking on the street or at the nearby free council carpark. We are convenient to anyone on the north shore, lower north shore, or working in the city. Some of the suburbs close to us include:
Lane Cove East
Lane Cove West
More than private guitar lessons: play in groups too
The chance to play in groups, perform publicly at concerts, join bands with other instruments, and to jam informally are all really valuable parts of the program we run. We try to build a friendly and inspiring creative community of musicians at our studio. Here are a few good reasons why we do this:
- A lot of what we learn on guitar is ‘hypothetical’: it involves lots of learning and practicing things that you would use if you were playing in a band.
- Practicing alone but not playing with other people is like training for sport, but never playing a match. That’s fine if it is all you want, but making music with other people takes your enjoyment and motivation to a new level.
- Playing with others gives a sense of perspective and progress to students
- Preparing for performances gives you a concrete goal and can add helpful structure and focus to your guitar lessons.
- Playing in a band or jamming is great fun too.
Ready to take guitar lessons at JWA? contact us now.
You can email us, phone, or use a contact form on this website. We love to hear from new students, so get in touch. We can help you or your child in your journey towards becoming great at guitar. The first lesson is a no-obligation one-off. If you love it, then you can book in for a whole term.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (02) 9966 5468
- Or use the contact form on this page (or the more detailed one on the “contact us page”
Contact us now and let’s get you started.