These are small-group band lessons that teach jazz improvisation and small-ensemble playing techniques in a band setting. Students learn as they play real jazz music in a band.
What’s a ‘combo’?
A jazz combo is a small band, of up to ten musicians. It is really a flexible “combination” of instruments.
There are groups for all ages and levels. Various combos meet Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Places are limited to eight people per band. A combo can involve any “combination” of instruments, there are no set parts. All combos besides the introductory adult course are by audition to ensure students are placed in the right group.
JWA Academy Combos (audition only) & Adult Combo II (audition only) $737/ semester (18 sessions plus concert).
Combo schedule 2018 Semester 2
Semester 2 is July 23 – December 8.
- Monday 7:00 pm Adult combo I (by Audition)
- Monday 7:00 pm Adult combo II (by audition)
- Tuesday 5:00 pm, Intermediate
- Wednesdays 5:30 pm, Intermediate
- Thursdays 5:30 pm NEW junior combo
- Saturdays 12:30 pm, Advanced
- Saturdays 3:00 pm, Junior
- Saturdays 4:15 pm, Intermediate
- Saturdays 5:30 pm, Junior
The groups are led by JWA principal Saul Richardson or Gavin Ahearn with occasional guest tutors. Contact us now to enrol.
What are the benefits of playing in a jazz combo?
The JWA combos are for students to learn and develop their playing in a small jazz ensemble, and improvising in a jazz idiom. It is also fun and quite different from normal school band. Here are some of the things playing in a combo helps:
- Jazz improvisation, become a fluent player
- Small-ensemble skills
- fundamental performance skills
- self – confidence
- instrumental technique
- sophisticated ensemble skills
- understanding of jazz theory
- appreciation of jazz history and styles
- aural skills and awareness
Combos give you the chance to apply and put into practice the work and theory you learn with your teacher, and really give your playing a boost. This is an excellent way to dramatically improve your skills on your instrument, and to boost your self confidence.
Just as the kids who do swimming squad or little athletics always seem to win the races at school, kids who take combo and/or improvisations lessons tend to become the “star” jazz players at school, or just enjoy music more!
Contact us now to join a combo.