A jazz combo is a small band, of up to ten musicians. It is really a flexible “combination” of instruments. At Jazz Workshop the combos rehearse once per week, tutored by one of our experienced teachers. Combos give you the chance to apply and put into practice the work and theory you learn with your teacher, and really give your playing a boost. This is an excellent way to dramatically improve your skills on your instrument, and to boost your self confidence.
Just as the kids who do swimming squad or little athletics always seem to win the races at school, kids who take combo and/or improvisations lessons tend to become the “star” jazz players at school.
There are groups for all ages and levels. Various combos meet Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Places are generally limited to eight people. A combo can involve any “combination” of instruments, there are no set parts.
JWA Academy Combos (audition only) & Adult Combo II (audition only) $654.50 semester (18 sessions plus concert). Adult combo I is a shorter course of 12 weeks plus a concert and costs $475.20.
- Monday 6:30 – 7:30 pm, adult combo I
- Tuesday 5:00 – 6:00 pm, intermediate combo
- Tuesday 7:00 – 8:00 pm, Adult combo II
- Wednesdays 5:30 – 6:30 pm, Academy Intermediate combo 2
- Saturdays 2:30 – 3:30 pm, Academy intermediate combo
- Saturdays 3:45 – 4:45 pm, Academy advanced combo
- Saturdays 5 – 6 pm, Academy junior combo
- *A new combo for school-aged jazz beginners will be starting in Term 3, 2017. Time & day TBC. Expressions of interested invited.
The most groups are led by JWA principal Saul Richardson with occasional guest tutors.
The JWA combos are for students to learn and develop their playing in a small jazz ensemble, and improvising in a jazz idiom. These groups work through a program designed to develop, reinforce, and enhance:
- fundamental performance skills
- self – confidence
- instrumental technique
- sophisticated ensemble skills
- understanding of jazz theory
- appreciation of jazz history and styles
- jazz improvisation, become a fluent player
- aural skills